Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer 2008: Part 2

Coming back to Chennai from the capital, I left to join Infosys on May 12. Reached the spectacular Mysore campus on the 11th . Was put up for a six week training , two weeks in HR and then four weeks in my department. The Mysore campus of Infy is one of the best corporate training facilities in India. Had the best time of my life doing a lot of things like playing tennis, swimming, bowling, Go Karting and watching a couple of movies at the Infy Multiplex every weekend.

I went to a lot of new places around Mysore with my family on the weekends.

Talakad - the place where the river Cauvery takes a turn in the direction and hence is said to be extra wide at this place.

Tirumukodal Narsipur - The only place in India where three rivers confluence.

Somnathpur – A lesser known cousin of the temples of Belur and Halebeid. Intricate rock cut temple built during the Chalukya reign.

Srirangapatna – The capital of the Mysore Tiger, Tipu Sultan, this beautiful island created by the Cauvery gets its name from the 10th century temple of Sri Ranganatha. The statute of Lord Ranganatha here is very similar to the one that comes in the first ten minutes of Dasavatharam (the 12th Century sequence).

Nanjagud – A very well maintained old temple of Lord Nanjundeswara

In Mysore, I watched Dasavatharam three times in the theater within the first week of its release, which I couldn’t have done had I been anywhere inside Tamilnadu. Its still running full house in Chennai, 35 days after release.

So, after having a gala time at Mysore, I was posted to Mahindra City, an SEZ near Chennai. So, I came back home after living in Coimbatore, Hosur and Mumbai since 2000.

2 comments:

Rohan Shah said...

welcome back !! :-)

Kamala Aithal said...

I have been to Somnathpur years back and its a wonderful temple. Like you said in your other post, we Indians should take pride in our heritage and preserve them with responsibility.

Welcome home and good luck with your job!!